So it appears that I have been slacking on my blogging causing me to write longer blogs attempting to include every single event that has occurred in the month. Well that is not wise and I will attempt to write on a more regular basis. More recently I have captured "events" in my blogs-which also serve as time markers but I will get back to reflecting on my thoughts and experiences that affect me personally as well as my service. I have a few endearing stories to share.
A week from now I will be enjoying my ninth month of service here in the Philippines. I squirmed and laughed in my bed last night at the thought of this. So much has happened since being here and I think that NOW I am at the point of really enjoying being here. Truly, I think things are coming together and I am learning to appreciate my experiences and move on. I've learned not to take things personally anymore but rather see it as an opportunity to practice tolerance. I have also learned to live by a few phrases that people close to me have often quoted back in the United States. I've learned to enjoy the company of people I like and to ignore others. I'm trusting the "process" sound familiar, it should to those of you practitioners/social workers out there. So far we have only loss one person from our CYF batch and unfortunately it was right before the 9 month mark and our IST (In-Service Training) and PDM (Project Design Management) week long conference. Our conference is being held at Lima Park Technology Center, the same venue used for our Supervisor's Conference. It's really refreshing to be back at this beautiful venue. We volunteers appreciate the aircon, pool and clean facilities and the break from the ants! We also have great food and comfy beds, showers I could go on and list so many things. Just know that this conference is wonderful.
During the past two weeks I've learned a strategy to help me better deal with my host sister and it seems affective at this time. It is really just a defense mechanism that I am using to combat her antongonizing behavior at the very least. My host brother helps me translate documents that I need for work and loves to play his guitar. Since I have my clarinet I plan to teach him how to play. He says that he wants a to learn how to play the saxophone. He's a great teenager.
I've also gotten into the habit of transforming myself into what seems to be a different person during meetings, trainings and sessions. I refer to this transformation as "LJ" mode, which is only an extension of myself. Those of you who know me can guess what "LJ" stands for and for those of you who don't I'll give you a hint . . . well maybe not just yet. Haha, just keep reading and I'm sure it will be mentioned later on in this blog. But anyway "LJ" mode is a state of mind and it's my space where I am confident, competent and fearless. I'm captivating, prideful but humble. It's a great space to be in. In my best imitation and best days I'm wearing the shoes of my beloved mentor (first clue). It's also positive thinking and self-talk that goes into "LJ mode". How does one transform you may ask, well its simple, prior to attending the meeting I just give my self pep talks or listen to music or am quiet and reflect.
So I think that it all for now! Peace!
*********Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that
you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain
No comments:
Post a Comment