Sunday, December 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Day 2012- Albay, Philippines

Today is a day similar to most that I have experienced in the past but at the same time different from many that I know.  Today is Thursday, November 22nd, 2012, otherwise known as Thanksgiving in the United States of America.  Here in the Philippines, this day is not celebrated/recognized as a national holiday and traditional customs are not celebrated, though the shopping centers acknowledge it for sales and deals.  I don't think my brain is turned on . . .today is Thanksgiving! Today is a national holiday, a day to be with family and friends and a time to eat good food! Just a year ago around this time I was in Queens, New York babysitting my then 3-month old baby cousin that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday leading up to Thanksgiving.  We were on the road headed to Virginia on Thanksgiving Eve.  We made it in perfect timing.  Nana was preparing the traditional Thanksgiving morning breakfast as well as finishing up the cakes and pies for the big dinner later on that evening.  The entire family sat in the livingroom of her trailer watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.  We then sat on the porch or in one of the bedrooms and reminisced about old times.  Ah gotta love that stuff.  I even spoke to my father on the phone that day. After eating my brother and I returned to Petersburg, VA and my NY family drove back that Sunday following Thanksgiving.  I went Black Friday Shopping with Shaakira and Shianne and we drove down to williamsburg.

Today Thanksgiving began with me taking a bucket bath, eating a pack of chicken flavored noodles and a cup of Iced Tea.  I looked at 11 turkeys in my backyard and thought to myself, your relatives in the United States will be eaten soon.  As I walked to work today, I thought to myself wow, its a pretty warm day for Thanksgiving.  I heard music coming from the productivity building and was greeted by a few of the girls.  I immediately put my things down and went to greet them.  They were dancing and waiting for the houseparent to come in order to begin the lifeskills session. Well at least there is one familiar thing going on today, DANCING and enjoying oneself.  Most of the day was spent facebooking other volunteers and providing support to each other.  My Thanksgiving meal for the evening was Jollibee hamburger and french fries but I will have a Thanksgiving celebration with other volunteers this coming Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment