Before I joined Peace Corps and became a volunteer I was always inspired at how hard the volunteers would work with the host country agencies and stayed in a foreign country for two years. I admired their strength and will to live in a place totally unfamiliar and be immersed in the culture. In some ways I thought of them as super heros/immortals if you will. I was motivated by their work and determined to do the same thing! That illusion was/is part of the mystery and inner workings of Peace Corps service. A friend of mine once told me before that telling every detail of an experience ruins that grandiose illusion that people (outsiders) have in a particular topic, place or thing. In other words, he suggested that I only tell people the information that was needed and let them find out the rest once they experience, which is true in a way. I mean, if I were to tell incoming PCVs everything that they will experience, it may scare some of them off, and others may still join but based on my experiences would could be a fallacy for their service.
So anyway, back to the volunteers and their tremendous strength and big hearts to do this work. When I arrived in country I realized that I would need a tremendous amount of support from family and friends back home as well as from the current volunteers in country both from my batch as well as the previous batch. No man is an island and no one can successfully do this work without support. I find it odd that I have never came across a blog with PCVs talking about support but I figured I would write one to show my appreciation to my support systems back home!
While I don't do shoutouts I will take the time to acknowledge the groups of people who have been extra special to me while I have been here. I tell you when the rough days or holidays hit, you need reassurance that you are doing the right thing. Although you know your heart is in the right place, sometimes your mind tells you otherwise. My immediate family have been wonderful. My sister has done a great job handling tasks at home and keeping me up to date with what's going on with my mother and other siblings. She is basically running the house. She has stepped up and been me in my abscence which is a wonderful thing. Its not easy being this far away and having someone handle everything. I was a working women before coming here so I had to make sure all the cards were paid off, and closed, loans deferred etc. My mother who originally was not on board with this endeavor has come along and has been supported with sending letters and cards for Christmas, my birthday, Valentines days, organizing dinners and having me SKYPE in etc. It's been wonderful and I think my service here has brought us closer! So be kind to your family members, because they will take care of you, listen to your rants but only pay you half a mind! bahaha.
So then I have my friends who have been supported and kept in touch either by means of social media, Oovoo, or SKYPE. I have even received a few care packages both for me and for my girls at the center! You all are wonderful and I appreciate the support. It's nice to know that I am supported and laugh at my experiences here. It's also good to have my cheerleading squad routing me on and not making me feel bad about missing the fun at home! My god-children have kept in touch through letters and phone calls and it is just refreshing to hear their voices.
My friends from undergrad and grad have just been amazing! They have been really supportive and I have enjoyed watching their experiences post VCU as well. Like my work friends we keep in touch by emails, SKYPE, social media etc. It's nice to be able to share this perspective with them and see how it will shape my future work in the field of social work.
I would have to say that my biggest and consistent source of support comes from my dear God Mother. I know I probably drive her crazy but she keeps me straight and probably knows my experiences here the best. When I have hard days I can count on her to be honest with me and keep me on track to remember why I am here volunteering and that I shouldn't let bad days get me down. I turn to her because if I tell my mother or others what's going on, they will simply tell me to come home, but my gma will say stick it out! I'm sure she could work for Peace Corps when this is all said and done! This is important to remember, to have different groups of support; those who know you on a professional level, those who you grew up with and know you well and others that you have good relationships with but can objectively offer advise.
Here in the Philippines my support comes from a number of places as well. Since May 2012 until now a few member of batch 270 have been instrumental in helping me and other volunteers settle in and get into a groove. I'm talking countless hours devoted to texting, Facebooking, visiting my training site, etc! I was surprised to be so blessed and vowed to pay it forward for the incoming batch and do the same. It is the least that I can do.

No comments:
Post a Comment