I am frightened
I am frightened because
My kid ran away today
It was premeditated;
she arranged it during the school day
She sees freedom from rules, a group home and structure
I forsee enslavement, drugs, and false promises ruptured
Police will ask for her physical description
I'll stay up all night wondering about her emotional condition
I am concerned
I am concerned about our immigrant foster care niños y niñas
Por que ellos solamente quieren estar con familia y una comunidad that is theirs
instead of the stares
and the questions about their legal status
And I shouldn't have to
but I'm forced to have immigration conversations with my youth
Four to five times a week
because 45 is weak.
I am tired
I am tired of all of the paperwork
Forget the paperwork
That doesn't tend to matter
Unless there's a IV-E review
Or Foster care service plan review
or someone is new
to the agency, bright eyed and bushy tailed
And is not afraid to fail
because "these kids deserve way better lives and so much more of our time"
But Laurenia, your report is due at five.
But despite this, I am hopeful. I dream of the days ahead when my kids succeed
and truly realize that it takes a team.
I am encouraged by that praying foster mom who is relentless in her positivity and convinces Amy that home is where she should be.
I am eager for one year old Olivia to be adopted and have her forever family just as much as I am ecstatic for 17 year old Drew to have a family too.
I am a social worker and this is my truth.
CALL 1-800-RUNAWAY
No comments:
Post a Comment