Monday, October 8, 2012

Be Alert at All Times

September 30th, 2012

Well after traveling to the market this Saturday morning with my host brother and buying several items to make my room feel more at home, I finally configure my internet usb to browse social networking sites and check emails.  To my surprise I find this email in my box from our Safety and Security Director John Borja.  Most of the updates that are sent from him via email relate to the current weather conditions about Tyhphoons, Earthquakes and other natural disasters that could impact a volunteers travel, or jeopardize one's safety.  This email takes the cake and speaks directly to one of my concerns of being a foreigner abroad . . .safety. 

EMERGENCY MESSAGE TO U.S. CITIZENS
September 28, 2012
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD. THANK YOU.

Threat Against American Citizens in Manila; The U.S. Embassy advises American citizens in the Philippines that a threat against American citizens in metropolitan Manila, specifically the Pasay City neighborhood, has been detected by reliable security forces.

This threat remains in effect until October 10, 2012.In response to the threat, the U.S. Ambassador has ordered an augmented security profile for all U.S. government facilities in Manila.

 The Embassy urges American citizens at this time to:
1.) Exercise extreme caution in their daily routine and to maintain extra awareness regarding their own security
 2.) As much as possible, maintain a low profile
 3.) Vary travel routes and social routines
 4.) Consider cancelling any American gatherings, celebrations or observations that could be construed as American events
 5.) Report any perceived security concern to Philippine authorities.

 The U.S. Embassy also wishes to remind U.S. citizens of the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. In a message dated July 12, 2012, the Department of State recommends Worldwide Caution and reminds U.S. citizens that terrorism can occur anywhere.The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of the dangers sometimes associated with public demonstrations. Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can suddenly become violent and unpredictable. Americans should be alert, pay attention to local news media, and avoid demonstration areas if at all possible. 

The U.S. Embassy is located at: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Philippines, tel. 63-2-301-2000. The American Citizens Services (ACS) section's fax number is 63-2-301-2017.

During my initial interview for becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer the recruiter asked me "What would be a reason that you would come home and terminate your service early?". At that time I stated safety and security would be a main reason for leaving.  This is just a reminder that we need to be aware of our surroundings at all times and in a "get-ready" position.  People at home who know me, know that when I am in an unfamiliar place or a crowded place that I always park my car in a position where I can easily leave.  Halimbawa.  If I am driving to a concert show I back my car in instead of pulling into a spot or on the street I will parallel park my car close to the venue so that I will be able to leave easily.  The same holds true here.  I have to be aware of all of my points of exit in the buildings in which I work, I have to have an emergency evacuation plan in place and money available in case there is a need for it.  I keep extra phone cards so that if I am not able to go to a Sari-Sari store I have load available.  I also remind myself that all of my possessions can be replaced and when it is time to go, I must move swiftly.  My friends here in PC laugh at me because sometimes I err on the side of being too precautious at times.  I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment