Sunday, February 3, 2013

My Assets in the Pines'

I wrote this excerpt for incoming volunteers as part of our "Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul" PC Philippines edition and thought I would share it here also. Enjoy! Just my thoughts



Everyone in America who is familiar with American norms and culture knows the rule of the black body when it comes to hair, clothes, nails, body parts. . . .(everything under the sun), which is look and admire all you want but DO NOT TOUCH! Or as I like to say in my sassy voice, look with your eyes and not with your hands! We also observe the unspoken norms of personal space which are non-existent here in the Philippines.  With that being said, I present my soapbox.

            When I first came into the country I wore my hair in a pony tail from my last blow out that was still intact, however as time passed and the weather became more humid, this hairstyle was impossible to maintain, therefore I began to wear my hair in braids.  The sight of my hair was unfamiliar to many and they were curious as to how I accomplished this hair-do.  Then they wanted to touch my hair, as if touching it would give them more insight into how this style can be done.  This did not bother me as I did not think this was a big deal. It’s just hair right?  So when I moved to site this became more of an interest to girls that I work with, who began to braid their hair.  One houseparent commented the girls are emulating you.  I was flattered by the thought of others wanting to be like me.  It’s not every day that you have young Filipino ladies copying an African-American woman.
           
As my co-workers became more comfortable with me and gathered the courage to talk to me more, they began to ask about my body.  They would comment that I was “mataba” (fat or healthy depending on the context) but had a nice shape and curves.  I would respond by saying I’m not fat but thick (in my sassy voice)! They would say “oh, yes” and smile.  But of late my butt has been of interest to them, as they ask me how I get it so nice and they sometimes touch it! Yes they caress my ass! Oh my, one woman told me that she bought foam to put in her jeans so that her butt could be like mines and had me touch her butt to confirm it as she touched mines! I wonder what they are thinking at the exact time that they touch my butt? What do they think that if they rub it, it will bring them good luck like a Buddha’s belly or the tree stump from “Showtime at Apollo”? Another older woman rubbed both of my cheeks one at a time! They are really amazed at it.  When I see them coming my way I tend to move out of the way but then they sneak up behind me.  I’m thinking to myself like this is a center for girls who have been sexually abused and you all are grabbing my butt? Oh gosh.  Now if you grab my hips and waist, no problem, but the bum is my private space!  (In my sassy voice)! But they don’t do it in front of men only when there are only ladies around.

So if you have a fatty or natural hair . . . good luck and welcome to the Pines!

No comments:

Post a Comment