We are now into the 5th day of February here in the Philippines and the 36th day of the year 2013. My countdown on my iPhone reminds me that I have been in country for 214 days already and that my trip to the United States begins in 174 days. I recently submitted a grant to receive sporting equipment to be used along with our life skills curriculum. During the month of January I traveled twice to Manila; one occasion was our sector debreifing of the first three months at site and the purpose of the second trip to Manila was to celebrate Ebonee's 27th birthday!
As far as home life goes, well it’s going. As my host sister becomes more and more comfortable with me and I with her, she has become more annoying “makulet” and teasing in nature. One of her favorite things to call me is “panget” ugly and mataba (fat). When I would ask her why is it that she thinks I am ugly, she would respond by saying because you are “itim” dark and that is ugly. After her response I would think to myself, hmmm you have relatives that are almost as dark as I am but I AM UGLY???. . .okay. This rationale did not make much sense to me of course and as time went by I would engage her in these taunts and say that she was ugly. It turns out that’s all she wanted was for me to play with her and interact with her in this manner although she still considers being dark to be ugly. This is characteristic of most Filipinos and can be attributed to the 300 years of colonization by the Spaniards and also Americans. There are Black Filipinos here referred to as Aetas or “Negritos” who are the indigenous people of the lands. They are said to be short in stature and have curly hair and dark skin complexions. They are not spoken highly of and thought of as still primitive. http://www.camperspoint.com/The-Negritos. In drugstores one can find skin whitening soaps and other agents that boast will lighten one’s skin complexion. Baby powder is used to freshen up or after bathing but is also put on one's face to give the “puti” (white face) look. When I see my girls with powder on their face I say puti but they like it that way.
As far as home life goes, well it’s going. As my host sister becomes more and more comfortable with me and I with her, she has become more annoying “makulet” and teasing in nature. One of her favorite things to call me is “panget” ugly and mataba (fat). When I would ask her why is it that she thinks I am ugly, she would respond by saying because you are “itim” dark and that is ugly. After her response I would think to myself, hmmm you have relatives that are almost as dark as I am but I AM UGLY???. . .okay. This rationale did not make much sense to me of course and as time went by I would engage her in these taunts and say that she was ugly. It turns out that’s all she wanted was for me to play with her and interact with her in this manner although she still considers being dark to be ugly. This is characteristic of most Filipinos and can be attributed to the 300 years of colonization by the Spaniards and also Americans. There are Black Filipinos here referred to as Aetas or “Negritos” who are the indigenous people of the lands. They are said to be short in stature and have curly hair and dark skin complexions. They are not spoken highly of and thought of as still primitive. http://www.camperspoint.com/The-Negritos. In drugstores one can find skin whitening soaps and other agents that boast will lighten one’s skin complexion. Baby powder is used to freshen up or after bathing but is also put on one's face to give the “puti” (white face) look. When I see my girls with powder on their face I say puti but they like it that way.
So now when she says “panget si Rina” I laugh and say no I’m not. Black is beautiful and I love my skin color. I’m glad that I am in a comfortable place with my identity and culture because the things this kid says borderlines harassment and bullying. This coming from an 11-year old who doesn’t like to brush her hair on the weekend. In time I can only hope that her tolerance of difference changes but this is the society that she lives in. It’s kind of odd to be on the opposite end of the spectrum when in the U.S. everyone loves being tanned and even pay for artificial temporary skin darkening.
So since it is February and Black history month, what better way to show my host family and agency who I am than through Black History Month. I think they will be able to get a better picture of Blacks in American through my sharing.
I came about this link through Face book and thought it fit this mood quite nicely. I’m not boasting but I am proud to be who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment