I am happy to announced that my
Peace Corps Partnership Program (PCPP) grant project proposal was approved for full
funding by World Connect! The entire $4,313.02 will be paid and we will not
need to fund-raise! I am so excited and this is great for the women and
children who receive services throughout the Bicol Region (Region V)!
My center and I were approved for grant funding through World Connect, a non-profit organization that partners with Peace Corps Volunteers to provide funding sources for projects developed in collaboration with a volunteer's community. Our grant proposal was to construct a cottage for women and their families who are survivors of gender based violence. Currently my center caters to single women and girls. One can imagine who counterproductive to recovery and healing it would be for women who have children that can't be housed at the shelter with their mother; the women are housed here at a remote location while their children are being cared for somewhere else. So my supervisor came up with the Cottage housing idea and I gave my recommendations as to how the center can maximize this cottage while providing services to women and children. Great idea in theory and it seems to work in practice from what I've seen in my time interning with YWCA.
My center really wanted this idea to be achieved before I leave this year (Happy New Year!!! 2014 is here!!!) but I was a bit unsure if we were being realistic about our timeline because of the fundraising aspect to the grant proposal. We were going to have to fund-raise for about 4k USD which is 187,233 pesos. I said to myself, okay we have to at least try and whatever becomes of the project, so be it. I sent my proposal to the grants coordinator who emailed the program manager of World Connect. To my surprise, I received a phone call from the grants coordinator who said World Connect is interested in my project and will FULLY FUND the project!!!!
There was still work to be done like editing the proposal, completing an application for World Connect, getting estimates, blueprints and titles from Haven but it was not in vain. The Saturday after I took my GRE in Manila, (December 7th, 2013) I received an email stating that my project was approved and fully funded!!! Attached was the grant agreement which listed the dollar amount! My supervisor, who was out of the office, in Tacloban working with Haiyan survivors at the time was ecstatic when I told her via text. Her response was "Thank God to you, to Peace Corps and World Connect". Now on to building and they will come, more families to serve!
Here's a summary of the project that I sent in with the
application
The Cottage Model Housing Program seeks to reunite mothers who are survivors of gender-based crimes such as domestic violence and or sexual assault with their children within the recovery center. This model seeks to promote family stabilization and empower families to remain a cohesive unit during times of difficulty/unfortunate circumstances. In its absence, women who experience gender-based crimes enter temporary emergency shelters, which are better suited for single women, leaving behind their children while living in "community style" housing; performing required daily activities and relying on the houseparents. Recovery at times is disrupted by constant worries of the quality of care of their families. The Cottage Model Housing Program seeks to provide an independent living alternative to this current arrangement for the women and their families. The Cottage (Bahay Kubo) will be a standalone building and have a layout comparable to a Filipino home. This in turn is more conducive in the treatment process, and better prepares the family for re-integration into the community. Women have the option to still participate in therapeutic activities, while awaiting court hearings, but ultimately maintaining their autonomy. The Cottage Model Housing Program is in line with the community's view of combating violence against women and children, and supporting the importance of family togetherness.
Here's some information about World Connect
World Connect is a non-profit organization that supports local leaders in under-served areas worldwide in solving local challenges by improving the health and well-being of women, children and communities. Since 2005, World Connect has supported more than 600 projects in more than 500 communities in 13 countries. World Connect supports women in leading healthy, productive lives via participation in health, education, environmental, and income-generation projects. World Connect also helps disadvantaged kids to enjoy childhood, embrace their creativity and become leaders by providing opportunities in arts, sports, education and environmental projects. Visit World Connect at www.worldconnect-us.org to learn more about the long-lasting and transformational impact of its programs.




No comments:
Post a Comment