Monday, January 6, 2014

Cab Conversations

Taxi rides in Manila can be as random and spontaneous as a box of chocolates, as Forest Gump once said, "you never know what you're gonna get".  While some volunteers dread heading into Manila because of its loud, crowded and busy environment, I enjoy it and look forward to it after being in the quiet, quaint province.  While in the city I most look forward to riding in a taxi and talking with the men (there are only men taxi drivers here in Manila).  Here are a few of my recollections while riding in a taxi. (By the way, most of these conversations began in Tagalog and make their way to english)




On this one particular day, I was en route to the Peace Corps office and leaving our hostel when I hopped in a cab and told the driver my destination.  This ride is about 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic and on this day traffic was light.  The driver began the conversation by asking me how long I had been in country and my age.  After asking a person's age, the immediate follow up question is to ask if you are married and have children.  My response to the driver was that no, I was not married and that's why I am here in the Philippines volunteering.  His response to me was that I should be married and have children soon before I get too old.  He told me that he is now a grand-father because his daughter now has a child but she needs help with the child because she is not a young mother.  He said that he does not want that for me.  I was taken back by his comments and it was interesting to hear this coming from a complete stranger!!! But I told him I would keep that in mind for the future. . . 


My next cab ride took me from the Manila airport to our hostel in Malate, Manila.  I came up from Ligao to take my GRE's in Manila.  The cab driver was playing classical music and most of the ride was quiet but soothing. Towards the end he asked me what I was doing in the Philippines to which I responded that I work here as a volunteer and had been in country for 17 months now (its like a script at this point).  He thanked me for my service here and the Philippines that we provide to women and children and said "You (all) are the angels of the oppressed people.  You give them hope.  This is like a bad dream.  So much poverty and overpopulation, and no way out.  People want to escape this".  I was shocked by his comment while appreciative of the honesty in his message.  He then went on to say that his mother and sister live in America and that he is trying to move there but the visa process is long and difficult.  I bid him a good day and went into the hostel.  I think I gave him an extra tip also.  . .

Finally my last cab ride was from Makati, the site of my GRE (December 6th) location traveling back to the hostel.  (Notice I don't venture off too far by myself; its a good rule to have in Manila if you are unfamiliar with places).  After trying to hail a taxi for an hour on a Friday afternoon at 5pm, I finally got one! He wanted to charge me extra to take me where I needed to go but I didn't care because I had waited for sooooo long and it was only an extra 50 pesos.  So he started the conversation in English because he assumed I was a foreigner and said the reason there are not any taxis is because it is the first of the month and people like to take taxis' because they have their Christmas bonus. He asked how old I was, to which I replied my age and guessed that he is 37, married with children. He has 3 girls by his wife and a love child in Bicol by a woman he never sees.  So you can imagine that wife wanting to have a boy child for her husband but he already has one  . . .MEN are the worst, but anyhow that's another story.  So he told me that his wife does not know because she will be angry with him and asked what I would do in that situation.  I replied that I would be upset because you broke your vows and I said that was crazy! What if your son ends up falling in love with one of your daughters.  He said that would never happen blah, blah, blah.  We then started talking about driving rules/ defensive driving in America and how you earn points on your drivers license.   I have to say this young man was bright and kept the conversation going! What a delight. 

So as you can see, all is not bad in Manila and each experience is what you make it! Happy Cabbing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment