Monday, June 9, 2014

Down to the Wire

Well folks it looks like Peace Corps Philippines is coming to an end pretty soon, sooner than I expected. 

 That goes to show you that two years can seem like such a long time but in reality its not.  In fact to most young people two years of one's life is a big deal and a time of self-discovery and acceptance, so imagine going through this process in a foreign country with people whom you don't know well.  I can say to this majestic challenge that I succeeded.  To be honest, I have accomplished so many things here in my two years than I think I could have ever done being in the United States with all of the distractions and daily life hustle and bustle.

I have about 52 days left at site and 73 days left in the Philippines.  The past few weeks have been filled finishing projects, getting ready for our Close of Service Conference (which will be in Bohol this year and not Manila), completing mandatory reports, setting our medical appointments, making last minute travel plans and beginning to say good bye to our friends and family here in the Philippines.  I have to tell you, as much as I have been ready to go and have been counting down the days, the aforementioned is beginning to hit me and I am slowing down my pace.  I'm beginning to procrastinate a bit on packing and throwing things away.  I put it off another day.  I argue with my co-workers everyday, as a way of showing them I will miss them.  I check in with the girls and small chat like I did in the beginning.  I'm more aware of my surroundings around town and think, in less than 90 days I will not have conductors of the jeepney drivers greeting me hello in the morning, nor the trike drivers offering me a ride.  I will not have small children staring at me, nor will I have my favorite laundromat to walk to.  Transitions are a pain but they help us to grow.  I'm excited to get back to tell everyone about what I saw, how I felt, what I tasted and have heard over the last two years.  Although I try to convey it through writing, I don't think people get my point so I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences in person.

But even more important than the things that I mentioned, I am ready to be Laurenia! To be the superstar I was born to be.  I'm ready to take my talents back to America (where they speak English and facilitating will be easier!) and work with the populations who are just as deserving of my expertise as these people here. So America are you ready for me?!! I sure do hope so!!! Here's to the future!!!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment