Friday, September 5, 2014

Malusog Na Nanay, Malusog Na Anak (Healthy Mommy, Healthy Baby)!!! Investing in Filipino Women, Children and Families for Generations to Come. Part I

In this world, we are exposed to different scenarios and given choices that will impact our lives and the lives of others in one way or another, whether by force or chance.  I choose to purposely impact the lives of the people for which I work, because that's the reason why I am here.  With that said here is the Cinderella story of my Maternal Child Health project. 

About 6 months after being at site and getting to know the inner workings of the agency, I knew that I wanted to design and implement a program for mothers and their children at the agency.  The young mothers lacked that tender, nurturing bond with their children and I couldn't help but think it was indirectly caused by the abuse.  The mothers seemed detached, inattentive, overwhelmed and uninspired to be parents.  Houseparents would bark out orders and tell them what to do instead of showing them how it should be done.  Most of the young mothers were 15-18 and had no preparations for child birth and being a parent.

The "Malusog Na Nanay, Malusog Na Anak" project seeks to improve the quality of life for mothers and their newborn, infant, and/or toddler children, through a comprehensive 6 week informative/interactive skills/parenting enhancement training.  The chosen participants of this training are clients of Haven, who are currently parenting their children at the center. By the end of this 6 week training, mothers will have an enhanced understanding as well as practical experience in topics of: bonding/attachment between caregiver and infant, best practices in dieting and maintaining healthy lifestyles (hygiene, dental, nutrition, exercising, self-esteem), family planning, reducing stress, managing anger/frustrations with parenting, goal-setting for baby's future, mitigating safety risks of baby, and essentials of engaging/encouraging healthy emotional/social development in children.

The 6-week training will be broken down into 6 (3-hour) modules, conducted at the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) complex for 6 Saturdays. The Department of Social Welfare and Development's Haven for Women and Girls Haven for Women & Girls, provides temporary shelter and protective custody to women ages 18-59 years old who are victims of involuntary or forced prostitution, illegal recruitment, battered/abused women, victims of sexual abuse, women in detention, women victims or armed conflict and others.The agency will provide all technology needed or the trainings (laptop, projector, projector screen, speakers), as well as the venue for the trainings.  Facilitators of this training will include the U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer assigned to the center, social workers and resource speakers.

Stay tuned for the proceeding sessions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment