It is truly amazing how Peace Corps represents the true "melting pot"
of America and it becomes the vehicle by which true cultural exchange
takes place between Americans and Host country natives as well as
between Peace Corps Volunteers. Below is an example of difference and
the unintended consequences of misunderstanding of cultural diversity
within the American culture.
I took a weekend trip to
visit my PC buddy. He recently moved into his new space and I
wanted to see it plus enjoy a weekend away from home. The area is
beautiful and serene. That night we went to a party at another PCV's
place. The party was great and there was a mixed crowd with us PCVs and
Filipinos who were close friends of the PCV hosting the party. Everyone
was eating snacks and drinking beer. We played "Pinoy Henyo" a game
where a piece of paper is placed on
your head and you guess the noun (similar to Pictionary). My item was
rice or Kanin in Tagalog.
I began asking questions which lead me to guessing kitchen items. I
thought about guessing the stove and said "is it an eye" everyone said
huh, so I pointed to it. They said "you mean stove or burner?". I said"
no
its called an eye". The PCVs gave me weird looks and laughed at
what I was saying. Then I said "well maybe its just a black thing". My
PC buddy replied "that's weird" and another commented, "that's not what
it's called, she
probably made it up". Then someone asked well why is it called an eye,
and I stated well it looks like an eye with eyelashes? I don't know, its
just the name that I have always known for it, and have grown up
knowing it as that (culture).
At that point the
Filipinos were trying to establish if this was indeed another name for a
burner on the stove. Many times this is more than one name for an
item, especially in different regions of the country or among different
groups of people. So naturally I felt offended and I became very
agitated. It was ironic that we are thousand of miles
away from home learning about a new culture but not tolerant to
difference within our own culture. No to mention how I am perceived by
the Filipinos who are still trying to figure out if this is the actual
name of that part of the stove. THE GAME IS PAUSED DURING THIS LITTLE
INTERMISSION. After this we continued to play a few more rounds.
I had to establish my credibility with this and did what
anyone in my position would do; poll the black audience. Of course of
the people I texted everyone responded that this was the name for the burner. I felt better that I was understood! Woo sa!
On
our walk back to my PC buddy's place, I spoke to him more. At first I
thought they were not taking me seriously but that was not the case.
He said he never heard of
that. I told him that instead of saying that's weird that
he should say things like "Hmm never heard of that being called that but
okay" or
something to that affect. Its not always what you say but how you say it
that matters. Then I explained to him that in the Northeast there are
even different words for things like soda (pop) etc. He got my point
and understood where I was coming from.
After this event occurred I debated calling my godmother
and telling her what happened, but then I realized there was no need as I
imagined the conversation going like this.
Gma: Hey boo, what's up?
Me: Um, nothing much you know the same ole, same ole.
Gma: Okay, so are you traveling now or at home? Something's up for you to be calling.
Me: No, I'm not at home, I came to visit another PCV this weekend so we've been hanging out.
Gma: Hmmmmm. Cool beans.
Me: So I called you because I'm upset. I feel like the other non-black
PCVs don't understand me or black culture for that matter. I just want
to scream.
SILENCE
Gma: What now? What occurred?
Me: Explaining the situation aforementioned.
Gma: Long sigh. And so. . . . how did this situation make you feel at that moment? (Typical social worker question)
Me: I was pissed the hell off and felt rejected within my own group! (Me near tears).
Gma: Well . . . tell them that. I'm half way around the world and
although I empathize with you, I can't do anything about it baby. And
they are not mind readers and won't know how you feel unless you say it.
If you're not ready to talk about it right now or don't know the best
way of saying it, take a few days to yourself to think about the
situation and their intent. If it still means a lot to you to say
something then do, if not then don't but you have to decide. I can't do
that for you. Regardless of the outcome I'm proud of you and believe in
you.
SILENCE
Me: Okay.
Gma: Well boo, I gotta run and you better also since this call is expensive. Lets plan to Skype soon.
Looking back on this experience I find it interesting how our tolerance
of difference within the American culture of diverse groups is not as
reputable as our tolerance of difference in relation to foreign
cultures. It's obvious that we are accepting of foreign cultures
but we don't give that same consideration to other groups who come from
the same country but different backgrounds. At times this can be
hurtful and perceived as being very insensitive as well as contradictory
to our mission here. It's too early in my service for me to say that
this same behavior exists among Filipinos but I see early warning signs
among a few stigmatized populations. I just hope we grow more tolerant
and I have to remember to be patient with this process. No one is
perfect. Even perfect people use pencils
with erasers.
Thanks for your "Eyes" and Ears! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment