Day 3 rolled around and the mood was calm and uneventful. I had to run to our town's center to buy cookies and ice-cream cones for the day's event. The girls were excited and ready for their event! They kept saying "Ate Rina, malapit na!" which means it is getting close now. Here is a recap of day 3. 1 Peace Corps Volunteer, 4 Fourth Year Social Work undergraduate Students, 2 social workers, 10 Houseparents and 31 clients (5 of them have children under 3 by the way).
Another successful day! Day 1 of the camp had a slow start again but
I had full support from the house parents. Venues changed to the family
hall from the PSCB building. I began with introductions and an overview of the schedule then
we went outside for games. The social work students were very helpful!
I'm so grateful for them There are 4 of them and they attend Bicol University. They gain practicum hours at Haven so this was right up their alley to help out. Win-win for both of us.
We went outside and first made four groups of
7-8 depending on participation. I was estastic to see that many of the girls who normally do not participate, participated today! Our first team building game was for the entire group to pass through
the hoola hoop while holding hands. The girls learned quick and completed the task in two
rounds. Then we tested their ability to communicate with each other without talking by having them line up in order by their birthdays. Our next game was pass the message. While the social work students came up with the message that the girls had to pass to one another, I did jellyfish. It's a repeat after the leader song with body movements.They
laughed! Haha. Really fun. I was reminded that you have to be silly when
working with kids. Then they played pass the message. It went
by fast. Whomp whomp. Lastly the girls came up with a cheer! These cheers were creative and amazing! They really thought outside the box on the cheers. The social work
students also participated! Wonderful! We ended with the power cheear (P, P-O, P-O-W-E-R, we got the power! Yay, Haven Power! Whoo!)
Then they watched Twilight and enjoyed their ice cream and cookies. :) a complete success! I'm happy once again!
Two more days of the grant left! I'm happy and so are they.
 |
| Being silly with the girls, they laugh to dance and have fun. |
 |
| And the star of this show is me! Ate Rina! |
 |
| The girls all gathered in the Family Hall. |
 |
| Explaining the logistics of the weekend camp. |
 |
| Some of the sessions that we conducted. |
 |
| One of our social work students leading the pack! |
 |
| Here's another friendly face among the smiles. |
 |
| This is the slow process of lining up according to the count off. |
 |
| A quick moment to strategize. |
 |
| Passing the message. Also known as telephone. |
 |
| Our Power cheer! |
No comments:
Post a Comment