Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Facilitating 101

Day Two was off to a good start being that we had electricity that morning!  We also had some adjustments for duties.  It turned out that my co-facilitator Macel had to stay with the girls in order to relieve another house parent (Ate B) so that Ate B could attend the training. (Does any part of that sound normal?) At this point I had to remember what I had told myself before, which was do not sweat it, the show must go on and whatever will be, will be.  But I did have the Psychologist there with me to help translate.  The center head (director of the agency) was also present that day which made a few participants nervous and shy. But as the training got started they loosened up and I was in control! So here is a brief recap of day 2.

So today, Thursday was a great start to the second day training! Today was for Haven staff and we discussed facilitating. Our day was supposed to begin at 9:00am. I worked on the PowerPoint more and headed over to the PSCB building (our venue) where there were already participants waiting. I began to set things up and Lea gave a short meeting prior to us beginning. So we began about 9:30am. My co-facilitator was Sir Niño because Macel had to relieve Ate Belyn. So we began with a recap of the day prior- HIV/AIDS. Having the money really helps in participation! Great tool! Then we let them practice coming up with a clap. These were hilarious! Ate Tess was great! Then we had an ice breaker- to break the ice and make it warm! We grouped them in groups of two and tell them the meaning behind their name. I was great to learn more about them. Then we broke into groups again and drew what we thought a facilitator looks like and presented. Lastly for the morning sessions we talked about 4mat( The technique we use to create session plans and facilitate sessions; motivation, information, practice, application) and gave each team a theme to make a session. They chose Fiesta and sportsmanship. Group two acted out the session! Great!

When we returned from lunch we went practiced putting condoms on eggplants. Most got the hang of it and now understand how to do it. Then we talked about managing a session. I had to cut many slides because they did not understand. But maybe I will get my host brother to translate it. Then before snack we talked about processing activities that can be used. Together we did the one word activity and mystery bag. Success! We took our snack, then did evaluations. Then we ended with the web, say something good about someone else. Then my wish for myself, my wish for the group. It was overall a great day! I'm thankful for this opportunity. Work hard, play hard. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Glory be to God and the books are balanced!

Here are a few pictures from Day 2.
Me! Getting ready to start my second day!

Each group is planning their cheer/clap.  Claps are really popular here, like a hooray, go team go sort of thing.


They are beginning to present each clap.

Here each group is drawing what a facilitator should look like based on the qualities of a facilitator.




Here presenting their facilitator.

This group said open arms to reach out to the participants.

This group mentioned having a vision.


Discussing the next session topic.

This group is creating a session plan for explaining a Barangay Fiesta to a foreigner.

This group is making a session plan for facilitating a session on sportsmanship.


And the results.



This was our web reflection activity.  Pass the rope to someone and say something nice about them. In the end we have a web of connectedness.  Beautiful closing activity.

Here is our wacky shot at the end of the day!

And our serious shot! Great job everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment