Sunday, February 16, 2014

Feb*boo*ary!





This year I was tasked with organizing the Valentines Day event for the girls of Haven, I thought to myself, no problem, I organized it last year.  But this year was different for two reasons, one, I had to live up to the party last year and two, this was going to be my LAST Valentines party with the girls and they knew it as well.  It didn't take much to organize the party and program but what was more important was to make sure that the meaning of Valentines Day, Love was conveyed. 

The girls began the program with intermission numbers and we all performed the "One Billion Rising" Dance in solidarity of the stance we take against violence against women.  

I was the emcee for the afternoon with my translators/DJs. Laughter is the best remedy to heavy hearts! 
Waiting for the next intermission number to began and handing out Valentines Hearts to all of the girls. 
The girls engaging in a game of Human Tug of War. Grueling!!! 
Here is a short video of us practicing the dance in the early stages! Enjoy!
The younger girls performed Shakira's Waka, Waka






Everyone looking on at the performers! 

While the older girls, performed to Smash Mouths' All Star jam. 

My sitemate Michelle filming and getting pics of the day. 

My counterpart/supervisor Lea in accompany with us to celebrate the day! 

Michelle and I wonderful gift to the girls "Happy Valentines Day, Girls Rock"

Our spread; fried chicken, spaghetti, siffon cake and soft drinks! Yummy! 

The girls jamming and dancing waiting for me to throw candy out into the crowd for them to catch. 

Our longest word had a spin to it.  Each participant had to put marshmallows in her mouth and then try to say "Happy Valentines Day".  Who ever said it the longest was the winner.  I can tell you this is no easy task. I tried and got to 25 seconds. :)


I think the best part of the day for me was when I received a stack of handmade Valentines Day cards from the girls, showing their appreciation for my presence at the center and all the help I have provided them over the past few weeks, months, year or whatever.  It makes my heart smile and proves that it is worth it to do all that we do together!!! 







Thanks for reading, and I hope your Valentines Day 2014 was awesome!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment