Sunday, November 11, 2012

Brown Out!

September 30th, 2012
A brownout is an electrical power outage that occurs "spontaneously" thorough out the town. But I have noticed burn outs can last for hours, entire day long! In the states people say things like "lord please let the power come back on". I can't even say that here because one side if the street has power and the other doesn't. When I observe this, I know that it was not spontaneous but planned. Why don't people explain these happenings? My Ate simply says, Ayoko Rina, brown out again.  I think it has to do with saving face and not wanting to tell all of the secrets of the town for fear that I will leave. Black outs in America are not common but rather occur as a result of storms or inclement weather.  When one side of the street has power and we don't this can only mean that this is deliberately. I can literally hear someone singing videoke (an American tune at that) across the street. Now I pose this question; how can you justify me hearing that but having to eat in the dark? My little sister jokingly said, candlelight dinner. Although I was irritated, I couldn't help but to laugh at this little kid.

 This is just one of the many adjustments that I have had to make since coming to my permanent site.  The lesson learned from this experience is  . . .Charge everything when you have power so that when it goes out you can still carry on with your normal routines.  Brown outs during the day are not bad because my agency/house rarely uses power in the daytime. You live and learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment