So yesterday was the big day here in the Philippines, in America it was also a big day. Yesterday we elected our 45th president of the United States of America. In fact we actually re-elected our current 44th President, Barack Hussein Obama! I am quite happy along with family and friends of mine. Here’s a look back at the last few months.
Before leaving for the Philippines my mentor reminded me to fill out my absentee ballot information and make sure it was done correctly, so as she suggested I went into my local voter registration office and filled out the information. I told the clerk that I would be living in the Philippines for the next two years and kept asking him when I would receive my ballot. He assured me that I would receive it at least 45 days prior to the election. He also thanked me in advance for my service work that I would be performing. I left the office feeling happy to that I had completed the process, but a bit unsure if I would indeed receive my ballot because the address I gave him was foreign and a bit complicated to understand. I assumed that he would either not process my request or process it but it is the wrong information. Off I went to finish my other tasks before leaving the country. During the month of September I was still in training and awaiting my ballot for the election. A few other trainees had begun to get theirs already so I began to get worried. At this point I thought to myself, voting online is a bit tedious especially when my site does not have steady internet, I was counting on my ballot arriving so I could do it the old fashion way. When I did not have the ballot by the first of October I kind of gave up and thought well, I guess I’m not going to vote this year, but I will keep quiet when everyone is talking about the election. I’ll just pretend or blame it on someone else if people ask me if I voted. Towards mid-October I was in the PC office in Manila when the mailman headed me an envelope from the state of Virginia, low and behold it was my ballot! I was so ecstatic and excited that it finally made its way to the Philippines! By this time two of the Presidential debates had aired and I began to be more involved with my site. I proudly filled out my ballot and returned it to the mail clerk, who then forwarded it the U.S. Embassy to then be expressed to the U.S.
Fast forward to election week. A group of volunteers had been discussing the elections and the Embassy held two election parties and invited those volunteers who were able to attend. I knew that I couldn’t make it to either one but was definitely going to tune in via web. That Tuesday night (Tuesday morning in the U.S.), I had a hard time sleeping and wondered about the fate of the U.S. What if Romney wins the election, what will it mean for me as a social worker? Boy I hope President Barack Obama is re-elected. It seems that the middle, lower class, and minorities suffer whenever Republicans are in office. So I woke up that morning and hardly eat my breakfast. My Ate said, have they announced the winner yet? I said no, not yet, mamaya (later). I told her that I could not sleep because I was nervous. Then off to work I went. When I came in I saw Romney was already ahead by 3 electoral votes. I saw the FB posts from friends in VA urging others to stay in line. The folk that were affected by Hurricane Sandy, they were telling them to go vote and not to let the storm steal the votes! My dear friends were telling everyone in this age of social networks not to post pictures of their ballots online because it is illegal, all this and more and I started to think, this is it, there is not going to be a second term. I toggled between CNN and MSNBC for updates. Throughout the reporting I tried to remain light-hearted and remind people that we must participate in all elections, at local levels as well as Presidential ones. At first all of the states seemed to favor Romney and were red. Even Virginia had Romney in the lead. Thank God for New York! Obama won the electoral votes from my home state. But things seems a bit frustrating in Virginia!
The time was now 11:30am; lunch time in the office. Barack had 124 and Romney 127, I surely did not want to leave to eat, but they made me! I went into the dining hall and quickly ate then returned back to my post. When I returned Obama had 249 and Romney 206. I said out loud “it’s getting close”, then I refreshed my screen and saw Obama with 274, I said “wow he’s ahead, wait we only need 270, oh my God! We won! Did we win yet? Omg, wait, wait”, and then that was it! I screamed “Yes!” we did it! We Won! Obama!” My co-workers ran over to the screen to see for themselves. One said “wow” congratulations, “Obama again!” Yay! I smiled and grinned and I began to tear up a bit. They said wow she’s crying. Then the texts started coming through and the FB posts, then I saw from Obama’s headquarters that people were celebrating! The good ole’ music was playing. At that point in time I was thankful, happy and relieved that Barack Obama had been voted back into office. Then I received a twitter message. “Scholar_Shero is planning to come back to the United States for the inauguration, and I said to myself, you know what that is not a bad idea! I missed the first one but this one I shall not miss! So I will be back in the United States for the 57th Presidential Inauguration. Congratulations again Mr. President all the way from the Philippines!
Here in the Philippines it takes 1 month for the results to be reported, us a few hours. Many times they are violent and politicians are killed in the process. Thank God for peaceful elections in the United States!
No comments:
Post a Comment