Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Alicia Keys in the Philippines! Set the World on Fire Tour!


On Monday morning, November 25th, 2013, I received a wonderful surprise.  After traveling from Sagada and Baguio, celebrating our Thanksgiving Dinner in the mountains, I got word that the tickets were purchased and I was going to see Alicia Keys in concert in Manila! It seemed like a dream but it was a great experience!

 

Alicia arrived in country at a great time when Filipinos are still recovering from the massive and destructive Typhoon Yolanda.  Although only those who are more affluent were able to attend such an event, Alicia was well received by the Filipino people and her show was appreciated.  


Joji and I waiting for Alicia to come out!

Wacky faces!

Seeing Alicia Keys in concert here in the Philippines was truly amazing! It was my first time seeing a concert here in country since being in the states.  It was also interesting to see an American artist perform in a country that I now live in and I would be able to notice differences in audiences as well as performances. There are a few subtle differences between American concert goers and Filipinos.  First we have tons of opening acts to consume the time prior to the main act coming out.  The show was to begin at 8pm, but Alicia did not start her performance until 9:30pm.  You could tell some Filipinos were becoming restless as they played games on their phones and tablets.  At times the audience would clap.  My Filipino friend said that's something they do to encourage the artist to come out and perform.  I told her to me is just sounded like they were clapping and that we normally  clap once the act comes out.   

Then the moment I waited for happened.  The lights dimmed and the covering was removed from the piano.  Alicia Keys walked out to Empire State of Mind! I went crazy and ran down to the median.  She then called out to the crowd and said "Kumusta Manila" hahaha! To my amazement the Filipinos did not stand up or rush to the front of the stage.  They just sat in their seats quiet and looked at the act.  I stood the entire time and sang along with her! My friend mentioned that Filipinos are a hard audience to please because the artist has to really impress the crowd.  They want to see you give your all and then they will clap etc.  At one point I did not see people stand up and clap and dance until Alicia gave them permission to do so.  At that point people stood and dance and I felt more in place at that moment.  

Alicia Keys' performance meshed perfectly with the spirit of the Filipinos.  She was classy, elegant and captivating.  Her dancing was in line with the conservatives perspectives and she chose songs that were well received and transcended culture.  She also brought out other Filipino artists one being a member from Black Eye Peas.  She gave words of encouragement to the crowd on rebuilding and the Filipino spirit being unbreakable.  She said we are one, and what matters is that we stick together! Awesome night.


No comments:

Post a Comment