Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving in Sagada, Mountain Province, Philippines

My oh my does it feel good not to be the newbie and be able to travel for Thanksgiving and share a meal with other volunteers in cool weather that is reminiscent of being in America during the holiday season.  Although I was blessed enough to enjoy a Thanksgiving home cooked meal with my fellow Bicol volunteers last year, this year was even more special and purposeful; because of the Super Typhoon Yolanda and the fact that many volunteers were being sent home on a 45 administrative leave.  Here are a few highlights from our Dinner and weekend up in the mountains. 


This year our batch decided to celebrate our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday, November 23rd, 2013, the week before the official U.S. holiday date.  We agreed that last year many people were pretty lonely and it would have been nice if the previous batch had spent the holiday with us since we were not able to travel.  It also worked out well because PC scheduled the evacuees to fly home before Thanksgiving in the U.S. which left us the weekend to fellowship and say our good-byes for now that is.


Sagada is located in the Northern part of the island of Luzon in what is known as the Mountain Province; north of Manila and north of Baguio City.   My travels began on the Wednesday prior to.  I flew into Manila from Bicol and then took a 6 hour bus to Baguio City.  (Besides motorcyles, buses, and jeepneys these northern cities do not have airports to fly into.)  We slept overnight at another volunteer's center and left for Sagada early morning Thursday.  We arrived in Sagada late Thursday afternoon after leaving Baguio at 8:30am.  The distance from Baguio to Sagada is only about 15km, but the roads are very curvy and we were making our way up the mountain.  Along the way vegetable terraces could be since in a distance.  They look almost like steep stairs stacked by the dozens.  An intricate irrigation system keeps the crops nourished and growing in this crisp air, cooler climate.  Sagada is a quaint town with nice, hospitable mountain people.  They were all bundled up in jackets, knitted hats, pants, with clothes toe shoes.  Very different from my area where people wear flip flops, shorts and t-shirts almost everyday.  The town had one police station, one main market, one bank and a curfew for visitors as well as residents.  I didn't mind the 9pm curfew as it was extremely cold at night!!

I live in the Tabaco area.  So I had to take an hour jeepney ride to Legazpi at which point I flew into Manila. 

The next leg of the adventure was all buses!!!!!! Good thing we were all traveling together in big groups!!!



On Friday morning Larry, Jen, and I set out for an adventure.  We decided that we would go on a 4 hour cave tour.  Before agreeing to do it we were aware that we would be immersed in water and would get dirty.  I had never been caving before and wanted to go.   I originally wanted to go for the 2 hour tour but you just have to go with the flow. Boy was it a flow!! We ended up going through a cave connection that connect three caves and had us submerged in chest deep, freezing, crystal clear cave water.

 We begin by passing coffins that were still occupied with bones and such.  We squeezed through some openings to go further down into the cave which was followed by propelling down a rope in true firefighter style! At times we had to go barefoot because it was easier and had to jump down on our kuya tour guides.  A truly amazing and challenging experience.  I was truly dainty throughout the entire process and took my time so that I did not slip.  It is definitely a method to caving; shifting your weight, stepping correctly and following directions!!


Afterwards I was soooo sore! I could hardly move but the show must go on.  On Saturday morning people begin with the preparations for the dinner later that evening.  A few people went shopping while others when on hikes to see the hanging coffins.  We were blessed to have two turkeys for our dinner; one was pre-cooked and the other slow roasted on a fire pit on Saturday.  It came out great! Before we began feasting we went around and said what we were thankful for.  It was truly a blessing to be there and enjoy good company with others.  I laughed so much that weekend.  Good friends, great times, great life indeed.  I was also reminded that this was my last Thanksgiving in the Philippines, which is definitely bittersweet.

This Thanksgiving is different of course because of Typhoon Yolanda and the mass devastation that it has caused.  But also because close friends are now home on leave or have chosen to close service because they no longer have a site.  Despite these happenings, I am still grateful for the many opportunities that I have been given both here in the Philippines as well as home in America.  We don't need to wait until the 4th Thursday of the 11th month of the year to begin reflecting on the gifts, privileges and all that we have.  It should be done all of the time.   

Happy Holidays!


Climbing up the rope, leaving the limestone formations.  This stone was not as slippery as others which made this task easy to do.

Gorgeous, crystal clear cave waters.  I was attempting to clean some of the mud off my bum, from sliding down rocks.

Dainty Laurenia! That's me!

I think this was the best adventure I have been in since being here in the Philppines.  Group cave love.

Another formation called the Kings curtains.

My favorite Kuya tour guide who joked about my weight! haha!

Half-way point! Yes we made it through the first cave and almost through the second cave.

Some Filipinos caught up to us and wanted to take a picture with us!

My friend Larry and I posing during a bus rest stop on our way to Sagada. You can see the mountainous view in the background.

I also seem to be attracted to the Christmas trees.  This one is a bit tacky which made posing by it more interesting. Check out my outfit, equally tacky but I was ready for the cooler weather.

My Thanksgiving plate; turkey, drumstick, mash potatoes, gravy, stuffing and mac and cheese, sorry no veggies on this plate! I was too lazy to go back for them.

Our group shot on Sunday morning leaving Sagada and heading back to Baguio and then on to Manila.

The gang just hanging out while the elders cook the dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment