Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mid-Service Conference Batch 271





Time isn't complicated but people are; we wish the time would hurry by when we want a specific event to occur.  We count down the days in excitement and sometimes waste the days in haste.  When our time is limited we want more time; more chances to enjoy the priceless things like one's company, a sunset, a walk and everything that does not require money or effort.  Peace Corps service is like this and during mid-service, we volunteers vacillate between the two.


In October my batch-mates and I gathered for our Mid-service conference.  It was a time to catch upvwith volunteers who are on distant islands and that we only see on Facebook, and to talk about the activities we have been implementing at site.  It was also a time to validate our feelings of being tired, feeling down and having "compassion fatigue".  This was not the case for most but for many, we shared some of these sentiments.  We also had to deal with typhoons and earthquakes recently.  And our wonderful medical and dental check ups before the conference. So you can imagine we were ready for the break. 

Our conference was laid back and very unstructured to accommodate  for many things. I'll give you a few highlights of the week.  On Tuesday we began our conference with a reflective activity of what we have been doing at site and created something to symbolize our first year of service.  I created a collage which was full of word phrases that resonated with me and I found representative of service and working with my girls.  

Here are a few:   

Love your color- give in to whitening products or thinking that you have to be lighter in order to be beautiful. 

Worth the risk- joining Peace Corps was worth the risk of leaving home as a budding social worker and coming here to do developing work. Yes I will be behind my friends on the licensure track but life is not a race! It is NOT a race! Besides goals and perspectives change anyway.

 Yummy-when my host families want me to try new foods they always say "Rena, you want, its yummy!".

 Real women everywhere- there is a false notion that real women only exist in the U.S. or in Europe or other places where women are liberated.  The truth is we all are real women and are in this fight together.  Each journey is different but the fight is worth it together.

Believe in the power of change, I did- this one speaks for itself but is important in development work.  Change is not immediate and it does not look how we imagine it.  It takes on its own form and makes differences in the most apparent or covert ways.

This is the year- this is it! If I have not already worked towards the goals that I wanted then this is the year. It's my last year to do so.  I've respectfully observed the culture and should now feel comfortable contributing as I was meant to do. The time is now. 

The situation is about as serious and difficult as I've experienced in my career- Somedays I think I am just dreaming.  On some levels I am not surprised by what goes on here at my centers and others days I am blown away and have to process what occurs.  This work is just as important as any work done at home in the States. 

What's the best compliment you ever received- This one catches a lot of people off guard, because you have to reflect on what was said and who said and if you agree with it.  Here in the Philippines its not too often that my girls get compliments face to face or hear them so I work with them on self-esteem, self-worth and beauty.  Everyone should feel good about their-selves.

A bunch of random numbers- I'm always counting and have a countdown until the next major event in my life; I have a countdown going right now until I take the GRE in Manila, until my December vacation, until I COS! ALWAYS A COUNTDOWN, which supports my opening statement :)




A photo of me with my collage.  I love Beyonce by the way if you were wondering!
Over the next few days we attended sessions about resilience, changing our perspectives, emotional intelligence and looking forward to the next year.  Our PC staff are aware of the mid-year slump which is common among volunteers despite location in the world.  Some people experience lack of motivation in his or her work, some frustrated with the government or governing bodies, some jaded and desensitized to what they are seeing on a daily basis with street children or prostituted women, and others left stuck not knowing what to do at all.  This is the norm for some volunteers but not all, however it is safe to say that most volunteers feel some of these feelings at some point in his or her service. 

Below is a chart which describes the vulnerability and adjustment of Peace Corps Volunteers.  On occasions I have felt discouraged with certain aspects of my site but have chosen to focus in and work where it counts.  It comes a time when you have to decide to do what makes you happy and will be of benefit to the people you work with. So we delineate at times from the "framework" but the interactions are just as meaningful and purposeful.

We ended the conference on a high note and everyone feeling re-energized.  On the last night of service we held a Talent show and I served as the talent coordinator.  I also arranged a performance in which my group stepped.  It was awesome, we were the best group and had the highest scores! Not to mention I had male involvement and we pulled it off in 2 days of practicing.

It looks about right.  Luckily for me I went home at the beginning of the estimated time of it to kick in.

My batch-mates and I have spirit animals and I was given porcupine.  Ha Ha. Don't mess with me or I will QUILL YOU!!!









Jeepney fun, on our way to the mall to eat some good food. Conference food not so good :(



Our group about to show out and give everyone a good show!







Our jump shot picture! Hands raised to show we are here to help and palms up to show we come with insecurities, doubts, and imperfections of our own but we work in solidarity! -Laurenia




PC MST Half Way  - Here is a video that my batchmate made with our help with contributing pictures and videos. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment