Saturday, November 30, 2013

Skype Tayo? (Let's Skype!)

It's Thanksgiving around these parts and honestly I'm not sad like I was last year. I mean yea it sucks to be away from family and friends but this is my last year of service! I go home next year! In a short 8 months! So I have to continue to just push through! 


So today I had the unique opportunity to Skype to America on Thanksgiving.  I was not skyping my friends or family but the adoptive parents of one of our children who has been matched to a family! This request came from the adoptive family through the Inter-Country Adoption Board (ICAB). It was our first request and I'm sure more to follow in the future. And who helped to make this FIRST happen. . .
 A peace corps volunteer! :$)




On a daily basis we take many things for granted . . .technology included!  Typically perspective adoptive parents send picutres and gifts to their adoptive children and never get to seem them real time until they arrive in country for the entrustment ceremony.  Now that has changed with the progression of technology and the agency's ability to be tech savy.  The children benefit in several ways; they are able to see their new family, and learn basic computer navigation skills.  Prior to the Skype date I worked with the child to orient him to my laptop.  He was already way too familiar with how to work the mouse and  could type simple words! I was very impressed with his level of competency with very little computer exposure on a daily basis. (To be honest, he was more proficient than adults here!)  We practiced making faces on my webcam and looking at himself to get used to it.  We also watched a little Barney and Curious George to keep him occupied.


I have to tell you the parents were ecstatic and elated to see their child on the other side of the computer screen.  It was wonderful to bring these two together through the power of Skype.    The parents said this was the best Thanksgiving ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment